Sunday, February 22, 2009

Holiday Ideas For Lottery Winners

In my quiet moments, I sometimes fantasise about how I would spend my lottery winnings should my numbers ever come up. And with odds of 14 million to 1, or thereabouts, I'm afraid fantasy is all it's likely to be! Of course, one of the great pleasures of winning would be the sharing of my good fortune with family, friends and favourite charities but once their needs were met, my thoughts would quickly turn to travel. So, of all the incredible places and experiences the world has to offer, what would be on my lottery list?

The Galapagos
Topical, in this anniversary year of Charles Darwin, The Galapagos would definitely be somewhere near the top of my list. Located 1,000 kilometres off the coast of Ecuador, the Galapagos Islands are a National Park and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The islands are described as a living laboratory of evolution where birds and animals have no fear of man. Being able to get this close to such extraordinary wildlife, which roam as freely as they did thousands of years ago, would really be a unique experience. Unfortunately, the islands and their flora and fauna are at risk from the increasing amount of tourism, so it would be important to find a holiday with the smallest possible impact on the environment.

New Zealand
We were lucky enough to visit New Zealand a few years ago and there were several places we visited which I would like to go back and devote more time to. One of which is Abel Tasman National Park on the northern coast of the South Island. Famous for its golden beaches, granite cliffs and the Abel Tasman Coast Track, it is New Zealand's smallest National Park. And as a lottery winner, I would definitely indulge myself and stay in the heart of the park at the wonderful Awaroa Lodge.

On our previous trip, we also tried to go whale watching from Kaikoura but were thwarted by bad weather so we would definitely schedule that into the itinerary and hope the weather gods looked on us more favourably second time around. Other stops on our grand tour would take in The Coromandel and The Tongariro National Park on the North Island.

China
Like many other people last year, I watched the coverage of the Beijing Olympic Games on TV and became increasingly interested in visiting China. If my lottery win happens soon, I may even make it in time for the eclipse! Must see sites would of course, include The Great Wall, The Terracotta Army, Tiananmen Square and The Forbidden City.

African Safari
It has long been a dream of mine to see big cats, elephants, giraffes and other exotic animals in the wild. Safari holidays are very popular these days and unfortunately can be very expensive but with my lottery winnings in hand, I could afford the best! I think it's really important to do your research when planning this type of holiday. There are lots of options when it comes to location and type of experience and timing can also be a key issue.

Skiing in Style
Skiing is one of my passions and no travel list would be complete without a great ski holiday. So where would I go? Whistler, in Canada, has been my favourite resort since my first visit in 1993. I haven't been there since 2002, so I think doing Whistler "in style" would be my ski holiday of choice. "In style" would mean first class travel, helicopter transfers, private ski instructors, staying at the Chateau Whistler and eating at great restaurants like The Bearfoot Bistro.

Well, I think that would keep me busy for a while...long enough to think of a few more experiences to add to the list anyway!

By : Mandy Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment